Golf IV 1,8 98-99?

• Hello! I live in Schweden and I have a question about the Golf IV-model with the 1,8 litre engine. In the Swedish market, the 1,8-engine (125 hp) was only avialable during 1998 and 1999. In 2000 the 2,0 (115 hp) apperad and replaced the 1,8. I want a IV-Golf with Highline-equipment but since the GTI is too expensive I´m interested in a 1,8 or 2,0. Now to my questions:

Why was the 1,8 engine replaced by the 2,0? What is wrong with the 1,8 engine? What is the 1,8 (125 hp) engine shortcomings compared to the 2,0?

I would be very grateful if you would answer this quesions. Thank you!

Henrik

• Offizieller Beitrag

In Germany the 1.8 125 HP (engine code: AGN) also was available during 10.1997 - 10.2000.
    Officially since April 2000 you can´t order this engine. Since Mai 1999 the AGN was only available with 4motion and automatic-gearbox.

Why? Ask Volkswagen! :D

andy

• Thank you for your answer but I don´t think VW will give me a answer with substance since I think that they will tell me that both of the engines are the two best in the world. I hope that someone here in this forum has experience from these engines. Please give some answer! My deutsch is not so good but I know that you are good in english.

Regards Henrik

• The 1,8 l 125 PS - engine was not very successfull. It was build when the IVth generation started in 1997 until 1999 (2wheel drive) and until 2000 with 4 wheel drive, called 4motion.

The 125 PS had several problems: less torque than the 115 PS engine, noise and vibration problems and more expensive production costs due to the 16 valves technique.

Further, the 125 PS consumed more fuel than supposed during the development phase.

So VW decided to replace the expensive 1,8 l 125 PS engine by the more cost-effective 2 valve per zylindre 115 PS engine with a higher torque and nearly the same fuel consumption.

Supporte uns und mehr Features für dein Profil erhalten

Das Forum unterstützen und gleichzeitig mehr Power für dein Profil?

• mehr Speicherplatz in der Galerie
  • kein Download-Limit in der Datenbank
  • überproportional mehr Speicherplatz bei den privaten Nachrichten
  • mehr Anhänge/Bilder im Forum
  • individueller Benutzertitel wählbar
  • uvm. (mehr Infos hier)

zum WOBber+ Abo

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!

• Registrierte Mitglieder haben die folgenden Vorteile:
  • ✔ kostenlose Mitgliedschaft
  • ✔ direkter Austausch mit Gleichgesinnten
  • ✔ keine Werbung im Forum
  • ✔ neue Fragen stellen oder Diskussionen starten
  • ✔ kostenlose Nutzung unseres Marktbereiches
  • ✔ schnelle Hilfe bei Problemen aller Art
  • ✔ Bilder hochladen und den Auto-Showroom nutzen
  • ✔ und vieles mehr ...