Is this GTI 16v Special version? In english please :)

• Hello
    My name is Jacek, and I come from Poland. I hope that my post in English isn't a problem for you. I own 1989 GTI 16v and I want to ask you is this a Special version. I have read your boards and found some information.

Model: Golf GTI 16v KR, 5d, color like 'OakGrun'
    it is after some accident (front), it was repainted
    no sticker in trunk
    no service book
    (i'm at least fifth owner :D)

Production year: probably 07.1989
    registration in Germany in 09.1989, old CE1 (fuse/relay unit) so production before 07.1989, cooling tank is dated 06.1989

VIN: WVWZZZ1GZKW48....

What is goood according to Special specification:
    - MFA
    - CL protection strips
    - smoked rear lights
    - 15 inch BBS RA
    - no red stripes
    - 'Special' bucket seats- 4 speakers (two in rear nad two in front), rear seats are from same material (those colour stripes)
    - interior in dark grey

What is wrong for sure:
    - it has alpha radio (but the wires also fit gamma)
    - chrome VW badge
    wrong but with some excuse:
    - big bumpers (car is from ~07.1989 so they were changed from small)
    - grill is not original (Carello headlamps in tubes, no red stripe, maybe after accident it was changed)
    - mirrors are painted (but whole car was painted)
    - no rear spoiler (every GTI has it)

Other:
    - 256 mm brakes
    - Digifiz (originally fitted)
    - no power steering
    - sliding roof
    - front windscreen with green stripe on the top
    - normal mirrors and windows (not electric ones)

Could this be a GTI 16v Special? Can VW dealer tell me what is the specification beacuse I don't have sticker in trunk? Front grill in Special has got red stripe ?
    I'm planning to keep it original. I changed the exhaust, and I will change bumpers for the small ones.
    DSCF0201b.JPG
    This is photo with old old exhaust. I have changed it for OEM type with two normal pipes.
    DSCF0207b.JPG
    DSCF0185.jpg
    DSCF0187.jpg
    DSCF0178.jpg
    ps. What colour should be the doors from inside after getting off the side panels?
    ps2. I read this topic http://www.doppel-wobber.de/wb…d_46192_GTI-Special-.html

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von JJacek ()

• Hi,

@first.. Nice Car! 4 doors are great :D
    You can look in your Serviceplan when you have it. They're the same Sticker witch is in the trunk.
    It looks like an 16v speacial. Can you make some pics from Inside?
    You can look in the Doppel-wobber database witch Interieurcolor you have. The "special" Modells have all the same Interieur.

Your lokal VW Dealer can tell you also the details about the car with your FIN

And.. the GTI 16V Emblem in the grille.. musst be on the other side :wink:

Signatur "entfallen ohne Ersatz" :cursing:

GTI Status:... It's rollin
    Daily Status: It's rollin :]

• Hi Jacek, nice car!
    It has the right interior, rims and paint, but thios would have been easy to change. Without the sticker you should ask your local VW dealer to be sure it is a Special.
    The car originally must have had the small bumpers on, considering that it still has the small side skirts and fender flares.
    None of the "power" stuff (windows, steering, mirrors) was standard for a Special, so don't worry yours doesn't have it... (yet?)
    The hatch could have been replaced when the car was painted, same for the grille.
    The doors should still have some "oakgrün" on the inside, but not on the very inside (between the outer and inner sheet).

• Hello,
    once again. Thanks for all answers. They were very helpfull. One guy from polish Passat forum gave me specification according to VIN:

year of production: 02/1989
    color: OakGrun L94E
    interior: grey/blue/red

Equipment:
    E1E "GT" Special
    X2A National sales program Belgium
    4B1 Protective side molding
    8AV Radio
    other - 0A2 4 doors, 3H0 Without backrest release for front seats 3L1 Manual height adjustment for left front seat 3QC 3-point seat belts, front

So if i want to return to original version of my car I should:
    - change bumpers (plain black without chrome stripes) and front spoiler/lip
    - change grill for one with red stripe
    - paint mirrors (one is not painted, it was broken and i changed it)
    - fit rear spoiler
    that will be all?

I still don't know what about Digifiz, but it looks that it was originally fitted there.

Kalle128
    I'm not planning to upgrade this specification (electric mirrors etc). The doors are exactly as you described them.

• Mirrors were not painted usually on this model, but look a lot better when painted.
    Changing the rest should be enough to change it back to its original condition.
    The Digifiz could have been added as an option, so please keep it! :]

• correct for original work it should be enough

maybe you should check wether someone did something to the engine for tuning reasons

and as kalle said dont paint the mirrors and i think i looks like crap tuning when you paint them. why should everything be painted? i can see a complete painted golf in red and it just looks totally like rubish

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von nagetier ()

• For now I will leave mirrors as is. I agree that paint whole Golf is not the best idea.
    One more question, should late GTI with small bumpers (1989) have side GTI emblems or indicators. I found pictures of late 1989 GTI with small bumpers that has indicators:
    3mJe.jpg
    GTI with badges on side:
    3mJi.jpg
    Do you know how it goes?

• As far as I know turn signals were no standard equipment. I also have an advertisement with a GTI 16V Special that has the emblems on it. But no guarantee on these facts, I think there is at least one person on this forum with an original GTI 16V Special, user called "DNW"? Maybe you can ask him...

Supporte uns und mehr Features für dein Profil erhalten

Das Forum unterstützen und gleichzeitig mehr Power für dein Profil?

• mehr Speicherplatz in der Galerie
  • kein Download-Limit in der Datenbank
  • überproportional mehr Speicherplatz bei den privaten Nachrichten
  • mehr Anhänge/Bilder im Forum
  • individueller Benutzertitel wählbar
  • uvm. (mehr Infos hier)

zum WOBber+ Abo

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!

• Registrierte Mitglieder haben die folgenden Vorteile:
  • ✔ kostenlose Mitgliedschaft
  • ✔ direkter Austausch mit Gleichgesinnten
  • ✔ keine Werbung im Forum
  • ✔ neue Fragen stellen oder Diskussionen starten
  • ✔ kostenlose Nutzung unseres Marktbereiches
  • ✔ schnelle Hilfe bei Problemen aller Art
  • ✔ Bilder hochladen und den Auto-Showroom nutzen
  • ✔ und vieles mehr ...