Most economic ride with Diesel engine

• Hello,

Need an advice.

What is the most economical way to drive with a diesel engine?

What I've heard is that I need to keep the rotations as low as possible (change gears at maximum of 2000 rotations, preferable at 1500).
    A 1.9 TDI driver says that I should change shifts at 2500-3000 rotations.

I want to remind you that I have a Golf III 1992, Diesel 1.9

Thanks.

• Hello!

It's a 90 HP TDI, isn't it? To make sure the enginge gets warm as fast as possible, you should shift at about 1500 to 2000 1/min and drive the car with about 3/4 full throttle. In this way more Diesel is injected and the enginge has not many rotations. That's the advice for the first 2-3 kilometers. When the engine has operating temperature, like you said, it's the best to keep the rotations as low as possible. But remember: It's better to accellerate fast and then keep the speed constant than to accellerate slow and to brake always (Even my driving instructor said that to me :wink: ).
    After long trips on the highway, just let the engine run for a several minutes to cool it down (when the car stands).
    Maybe this helps you. If you have some more questions, just ask... :wink:

P.S.: Tell me if i've made any mistakes (I really want to know that, becaus i make my high-school diploma this year 8))

Science flies you to the moon...
    Religion flies you into buildings...

• Thanks,

1. I have a 1.9 diesel engine (not TD, not TDI).

2. """ But remember: It's better to accellerate fast and then keep the speed constant than to accellerate slow and to brake always (Even my driving instructor said that to me :wink ."""

I dont understand what are you trying to say???
    If I accelerate fast I will have to brake more often, and if I dont accelerate fast I will be able to keep the speed more contstant - is this what you want you mean ??

And this is more related to the driving style but I want to know how to ride to burn less diesel!!!

3. English is not my native language so I also make a lot of mistakes :) from what I can tel you English is very good :)

• No, that's not what I mentioned. Example: You are at a crossroad. You want to accellerate up to 100km/h. Then its better to accellerate "fast" for, let's say, 500 meters than to accellerate slow up to 100km/h for about 2 kilometers. Hope you understand it. :wink:

Edit: By the way, where are you from?

Science flies you to the moon...
    Religion flies you into buildings...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Der Dude ()

• Yes I am from Moldova indeed, as Meister_Lampe said.

I am using Microsoft online translation to translate some of German :) at least sometimes I get the idea of what you've said :)

In Moldova we have only bad roads and very bad roads : ) - that is in short the story of my country : )

And with regard to acceleration - I get it thaks, I will do so - I will accelerate fast.

Isn't is like this:
    The engine consumes ordinary for exemple 6l/100km if you drive 1500-2500rpm
    And the engine consumes much much more, for exemple 10l/100km if i drive this road with more than 3000 rpm ???

• Yes somehow already.

However, better is if you speed up quickly on 100 km/h and hold this speed then..
    therefore is to be gone also more favorable with 1500 rpm when with 3000 rpm , nevertheless logically because your motor so need much fewer benzine and so your mileage is fewer...

Ehm yes, if you drive for example a hill down or onto a red stoplight., then boarded one gear more deeply and takes your foot of the gas, so the motor brakes and you do not need any benzine!

• Got it thanks - this is the way I do it !

My brother is always correcting me and claiming that I accelerate like with a petrol engine. He sais that the diesel engine is lazy engine and I should not accelerate quick because it spends much more gasoline.
    I will tell him that he is wrong :) and will continue to accelerate fast - of course not like with a sports car :) but still FAST.

My first car was a Mazda 323F 1.6 16V - that was a quick car :)

Supporte uns und mehr Features für dein Profil erhalten

Das Forum unterstützen und gleichzeitig mehr Power für dein Profil?

• mehr Speicherplatz in der Galerie
  • kein Download-Limit in der Datenbank
  • überproportional mehr Speicherplatz bei den privaten Nachrichten
  • mehr Anhänge/Bilder im Forum
  • individueller Benutzertitel wählbar
  • uvm. (mehr Infos hier)

zum WOBber+ Abo

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!

• Registrierte Mitglieder haben die folgenden Vorteile:
  • ✔ kostenlose Mitgliedschaft
  • ✔ direkter Austausch mit Gleichgesinnten
  • ✔ keine Werbung im Forum
  • ✔ neue Fragen stellen oder Diskussionen starten
  • ✔ kostenlose Nutzung unseres Marktbereiches
  • ✔ schnelle Hilfe bei Problemen aller Art
  • ✔ Bilder hochladen und den Auto-Showroom nutzen
  • ✔ und vieles mehr ...